CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – Austin Peay State University women’s soccer team embarks on a rare Thursday-Monday road swing when they travel to Western Kentucky (7 p.m., Sept. 5) and Lipscomb (7 p.m., Sept. 9) for a pair of non-conference tilts.
The Lady Govs have begun the season with a three-match winning streak for the third time in the last four seasons, outscoring Chattanooga, Appalachian State and Arkansas-Little Rock, 9-1 – with a pair of wins against Western Kentucky and Lipscomb, the Lady Govs would tie the program-best 5-0 start achieved during the 2010 season. With a league-high five goals and 11 points, senior Tatiana Ariza is on pace to eclipse the Ohio Valley Conference’s career (149) and single-season (49) point marks.
Sophomore Nikki Filippone and freshman Katie Emig have continued to split time in net through the season’s first two weekends. Filippone has seven saves and has yet to give up a goal in 181 minutes of action.
Western Kentucky (1-1-1) has steadily improved as the season has progressed. The Hilltoppers lost the opener against Utah before salvaging a tie against Rice and getting their season’s first victory against Indiana State, Sept. 1. Senior keeper Nora Abolins has allowed just three goals in three matches, making eight saves along the way, earning Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Week last week.
Lipscomb (1-2-1) salvaged a tie at MTSU and blasted Alabama A&M 10-0 last week before falling to UT Martin, 2-0, Monday. Freshmen Anna Buhigas (24 saves, four goals allowed) was named Atlantic Sun Defender of the Week for last week and Ellen Lundy (three goals, one assist) led a Lady Bison offense that set five school records against Alabama A&M, Aug. 26.
The Lady Govs conclude their four-match road swing with a trip to New York in 10 days for matches at St. Bonaventure (6 p.m. CT, Sept. 13) and Buffalo (10:15 a.m. CT, Sept. 15). Austin Peay returns home to host UT Martin (Sept. 27, 7 p.m.) to open OVC play in a rematch of last season’s OVC Tournament Championship match.
Last Time Against This Weekend’s Opponents
Austin Peay was unable to get anything past the Lipscomb defense in 2012, dropping a 1-0 decision, Aug. 28, despite attempting 15 shots. The Lady Govs last faced Western Kentucky in the regular season in 2011, falling 3-1 at Morgan Bros. Field. Then-sophomore Joceline Quiceno netted Austin Peay’s lone goal against the Hilltoppers.
Keep An Eye On…
- Tatiana Ariza needs just one point to tie former Eastern Illinois athlete Tracie Strother (1995-98) for third among OVC student-athletes in points – although Strother played only the inaugural season of OVC play for the Panthers. Ariza is at 109 career points heading into the weekend.
- With one point, senior Natalia Ariza would tie Jessica Hosse (2004-07) for fifth place on the all-time list with 33 points. She remains one goal away from tying Erica Dengler (2003-06) and Kaylee Yago (2002-05).
- The Lady Govs still are seeking their first victory against Western Kentucky – Austin Peay is 0-6-0 against the Hilltoppers dating back to 2002.
- Senior sisters Joceline and Andy Quiceno are tied for eighth all-time in goals scored with 10 apiece.
- Senior defender Emily Kink needs one more assist to move into a tie for tenth all-time.
- Senior midfielder Morgan Zigelsky needs one assist to tie Erin Mitchell (2002-04) for fifth all-time with nine.
Lady Govs Online
Be sure to follow all the Lady Govs action at LetsGoPeay.com, and check them out on Twitter (@AustinPeaySocr) and by liking the Austin Peay Women's Soccer Official Page on Facebook. Live stats will be available prior to the match at LetsGoPeay.com.