Clarksville, Tenn. – Senior Dustin Korte, of the Austin Peay State University men’s golf team, has been named the Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week.
After going winless through the first three and a half years of his Austin Peay career, Korte has taken medalist honors in two of his last three outings. He shot a five-under par 211 (71-68-72) at the C.O.G. Mizzou Intercollegiate to win the event by a stroke. His second-round 68 pushed the Govs into second-place behind host Missouri, where they would finish the tournament, ahead of 76th-ranked Washington State.
Korte did much of his damage on the first three holes at The Club at Old Hawthorne; the Metropolis, Ill., native was three-under on those holes for the tournament.
For his efforts, Korte was awarded his third OVC weekly award this season – and second in three weeks, the first coming after his medalist honor at the Memphis Intercollegiate. It’s the seventh time a Gov has won or shared the conference’s weekly honor this season.
The Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week is selected by the APSU Sports Information staff each Tuesday during the academic year. Copies in a Flash, of Clarksville, sponsors the award.
Other notable performances by Austin Peay athletes included:
- Junior pitcher Lee Ridenhour, of the baseball team, tossed seven scoreless innings, scattering six hits and running his record to 6-0 after the Govs defeated Southeast Missouri, 9-4, Friday.
- Sophomore Dimitar Ristovski, of the men’s tennis team, won his school-record 16th consecutive match over the weekend, taking down opponents from Tennessee Tech and Jacksonville State at No. 3 singles. Ristovski defeated the Eagles Artem Tarasov (7-5, 6-0) and concluded his perfect 9-0 record against OVC foes with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-0 win against Jacksonville State’s Nenad Marcec to help the Govs clinch a No. 2 seed in the OVC Tournament.
- Senior Chantelle Grey, of the track and field team, placed fourth in the 800m run at the Sea Ray Relays in the Showcase event, lowering her conference-best mark with a 2:08.68 run that ranks her 38th in the NCAA East region.
- Senior Tabitha Beard, of the women's golf team, shot 79 in dual matches against Tennessee State and Murray State last weekend. Her round at the Hermitage Golf Course led the Lady Govs against the Tigers.
- Junior Lauren de Castro, of the softball team, tied a school record with two home runs in the final game of the Lady Govs series against SIU Edwardsville, Sunday. de Castro hit .500 (5-for-10) with three home runs and seven RBI for the weekend.