Governors Stadium is a 10,000-seat multi-purpose stadium in Clarksville, Tennessee. It opened in 1946 and is home to the Austin Peay Governors football team and the Lady Govs track and field program.
After Municipal Stadium was constructed by the city of Clarksville in 1946, the city permitted Austin Peay to use the stadium for an annual sum which was thought to be the actual cost to the city. Although the Clarksville City and the Montgomery County School Systems were consolidated in the early 1960's and the city was no longer responsible for any school, it continued to own and operate the Municipal Stadium until 1970. In that year as a result of a cooperative agreement between Austin Peay, the county officials and the city officials, the city conveyed title to one-third of the stadium to the State for the university and one-third to Montgomery County. In addition, a local legislative enactment was passed by the General Assembly establishing a Municipal Stadium Authority and empowering it to operate the Stadium, provided that the owners entered into a lease agreement with the Stadium Authority for not more than twenty years.
The University, the county, and the city were further authorized to appropriate funds to the Authority for the purposes of constructing remodeling and operating the Stadium. The members of the Authority were to be appointed by the county and by the university. The Authority was formed, a lease executed, monies appropriated by the University and the county, the Stadium remodeled and renovated, and artificial surfaces applied to the track and football field.
In Winter 1993, the University agreed to purchase Municipal Stadium from the Stadium Authority and Montgomery County. With the purchase, Austin Peay also chose to change the name of the facility to Governors Stadium.
As a result of the purchase, that following summer Stadia Turf replaced the well-worn AstroTurf. That surface was utilized until Summer of 2004 when TurboLink, Inc., installed Polytan surfaces for not only the football field (Mega Grass) but track (Polytan WSS 15) as well. The first year of the new track surface’s existence saw several track marks fall at the OVC Outdoor Track and Field championships.
Prior to the 2007 season, a new state-of-the-art Daktronics scoreboard (ProStar Video display) was erected on the stadium’s south end.
In addition, the press box on the east side also underwent several changes since APSU took over stadium control. More upgrades and renovations are on the drawing board for the future.