Murray State Game Notes
- Senior Jake Ryan threw for 241 yards and one touchdown, hitting on 25 of his 40 pass attempts.
- The 41 pass attempts by the Govs were the most since Austin Peay attempted 41 passes against Tennessee State (10/1/11).
- Sophomore Ben Campbell had 6 punts, averaging 42.2 yards. He also kicked his career long, a 68-yarder in the fourth quarter. It was the longest punt by a Governor since Ryan Key's 70-yarder against Middle Tennessee (9/11/2010).
- Freshman Reco Williams set a new career high for rushing yards for the second week in a row, this time rushing for 110 yards on 21 carries. It was the first 100-yard performance of his Austin Peay career.
- Williams also scored his first college touchdown on a 32-yard second-quarter run.
- Senior wide receiver Devin Stark totaled 100 yards in a game for the second time this season and the third time in his career, finishing with 125 yards on 10 catches.
- Stark's 10 receptions were also a career high. His old high was nine catches, set at Memphis in 2011 and equaled against Tennessee State earlier this fall.
- The 10 receptions were also the most catches by a Governor since Paul Derrick caught 10 against Morehead State on 10/9/04. Derrick is now an APSU assistant coach.
- Murray State quarterback Casey Brockman was 14-of-14 in passing attempts in the first quarter and 22-of-24 in the first half. He ended the game 38-of-43 and 455 yards.
- APSU held Murray State to just 18 yards rushing on 14 carries in the first half.
- Govs junior Terrence Oliver had an eight-yard touchdown catch, the first touchdown catch of his career.
- For the second straight week, Austin Peay gave up more than 400 yards passing.
Murray State Game Quotes -- Head Coach Rick Christophel
Coach, positive thoughts on tonight's game?
"Our offense did well, but we haven't stopped anyone in two weeks. We've given up over 100 points in the last two games. To be able to compete, we are going to have to change that. Our kick return game wasn't bad, and our punter [Ben Campbell] did a great job out there tonight. We missed two crucial field goals. There were positives, but we didn't score any points in the second half and we can't overlook that."
"The (opposition's) passing game has been our Achilles Heel these last two weeks."
"We allowed them to run down the middle of the field wide open and make big plays. Stopping those was a big focus of our practices this week, but we didn't get it done tonight. We need to look over the film and see who is doing what and decide who needs to be playing more and who needs to be on the bench. We have to evaluate that and get it together these next couple of weeks."
"The second quarter has been good for us, but outside of the second quarter we aren't doing much."
Why do you think this is?
"We had to start our first drive of the third quarter on our own 12 yard line. When you have to go 88 yards, play calling has to be different and a little strange. We frequently had to make drives of around 70 or 80 yards. Jake Ryan, for the second week in a row played a great game. He should have had about 35 completed passes, but he had quite a few guys with drops. Those plays were at crucial times. If we could make those plays it could be a completely different game."
Thoughts on our receiving game:
"Devin (Stark) is a great player, but when he got dinged at the beginning of the fourth quarter, that hurts us because we don't have a whole lot of depth at wide receiver. We need some other guys to step up and make some catches. We can't move the ball up and down the field efficiently with all these drops we're having."
Thoughts on running game:
"Reco Williams and Terrence Oliver both did exactly what they were supposed to do. They both played great. Terrence was really impressive considering he played almost every down, either in the backfield or in the slot."
Thoughts on next week
"Between EKU's loss last week and us beating them last year, they will really be coming for us. They have a really good defense and they are running the football well. We will have to play much better next week"
"There's not much to say, we just gave up too many points. We have to get more points on the board and be able to stop them."