In a match originally scheduled to be played in Cape Girardeau, Mo., the Lady Govs capitalized on their home court sweeping the doubles competition and winning five of six singles matches. The match was moved to Clarksville to avoid potentially bad weather in Southeast Missouri.
"Overall it was a good match for us," head coach Malik Tabet said. "We've been battling some illness; we have a number of players sick. They pulled it together today and put out a good effort. We still have some improvement to make on the way we apply strategy during the match, but it's getting better."
Senior Vanja Tomic picked up her 13th-straight win at No. 1 singles, but the most impressive win came at No. 4 singles. Sophomore Andra Cornea dropped the first set, but never settled. She took the next two sets, avoiding the third-set tiebreaking, for win.
Austin Peay also got wins at No. 2 from Ornella Di Salvo in straight sets, and at No. 3 from Alison Carre in straight sets. Jovana Karak won the day's final match at No. 6 singles.
Next for the Lady Govs is a 2 p.m., Sunday, match at UT Martin. Last season, the Skyhawks defeated the Lady Govs, 4-3, in Clarksville.
Austin Peay 6, Southeast Missouri 1
1. TOMIC, Vanja (APSUW) def. Nikole Novikova (SEMO) 6-0, 6-3
2. Di SALVO, Ornella (APSUW) def. Elizabeth Nyenwe (SEMO) 6-2, 6-1
3. CARRE, Alison (APSUW) def. Jessica Courtnell (SEMO) 6-1, 6-0
4. CORNEA, Andra (APSUW) def. Melissa Martin (SEMO) 0-6, 6-0, 7-5
5. Heather Robinson (SEMO) def. TAVAREZ, Vanessa (APSUW) 6-0, 6-0
6. KARAK, Jovana (APSUW) def. Laura Garcia (SEMO) 6-0, 6-3
1. TOMIC, Vanja/CARRE, Alison (APSUW) def. Nikole Novikova/Heather Robinson (SEMO) 8-4
2. CORNEA, Andra/Di SALVO, Ornella (APSUW) def. Jessica Courtnell/Melissa Martin (SEMO) 8-1
3. TAVAREZ, Vanessa/KARAK, Jovana (APSUW) def. Elizabeth Nyenwe/Lauren Schaper (SEMO) 8-4